Patient Safety
Read

Visitor Behaviors Can Influence the Risk of Patient Harm: An Analysis of Patient Safety Reports From 92 Hospitals

Publication Date Jun 17, 2022

Abstract

Background: Previous research has shown that visitors can decrease the risk of patient harm; however, the potential to increase the risk of patient harm has been understudied. Methods: We queried the Pennsylvania Patient Safety Reporting System database to identify event reports that described visitor behaviors contributing to either a decreased or increased risk of patient harm. Event reports from January 1 to June 30, 2019, were searched for keywords and reviewed for inclusion criteria. Event reports were manually coded to identify visitor influence on risk of patient harm (e.g., increase or decrease), visitor behavior, and event type. Results: A total of 427 event reports were analyzed and we identified five categories of visitor behavior that influenced patient safety by either decreasing or increasing the risk of patient harm. We found that 63.7% (272 of 427) of event reports described a visitor behavior that decreased the risk of patient harm and the remaining 36.3% (155 of 427) of reports described behavior that increased the risk of harm. There was a greater variety of visitor behaviors that contributed to an increased risk of patient harm, as opposed to a decreased risk of harm. The visitor behavior most frequently associated with a decreased risk of patient harm was communicating with staff (91.2%, 248 of 272); for example, to inform staff of deterioration of a patient’s condition. The visitor behavior most frequently associated with an increased risk of patient harm was moving a patient (63.2%, 98 of 155). Acros...

Concepts

Risk Of Harm Risk Of Patient Harm Multiple Event Types Visitor Behavior Event Reports Event Type Influenced Patient Safety Multiple Event Multiple Types Patient Safety

Round-ups are the summaries of handpicked papers around trending topics published every week. These would enable you to scan through a collection of papers and decide if the paper is relevant to you before actually investing time into reading it.

Climate change Research Articles published between Nov 21, 2022 to Nov 27, 2022

R DiscoveryNov 28, 2022
R DiscoveryArticles Included:  2

No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors. The conception and design of the study, acquisition of data, analysis and interpretatio...

Read More

Coronavirus Pandemic

You can also read COVID related content on R COVID-19

R ProductsCOVID-19

ONE PROBLEM . ONE PURPOSE . ONE PLACE

Creating the world’s largest AI-driven & human-curated collection of research, news, expert recommendations and educational resources on COVID-19

COVID-19 Dashboard

Disclaimer: All third-party content on this website/platform is and will remain the property of their respective owners and is provided on “as is” basis without any warranties, express or implied. Use of third-party content does not indicate any affiliation, sponsorship with or endorsement by them. Any references to third-party content is to identify the corresponding services and shall be considered fair use under The Copyright Law.