International Journal of Ophthalmology | VOL. 15
Read

Long-term outcome of pathologic myopic foveoschisis treated with posterior scleral reinforcement followed by vitrectomy

Publication Date Jun 18, 2022

Abstract

AIM: To report the long-term outcome of posterior scleral reinforcement (PSR) followed by vitrectomy for pathologic myopic foveoschisis (MF). METHODS: The records of 27 patients (44 eyes) treated with posterior scleral reinforcement (PSR) followed by vitrectomy for pathologic MF were retrospectively reviewed. The best-corrected visual acuity (BCVA), refractive error, axial length, and spectral-domain optical coherence tomography findings and complications were analyzed. RESULTS: Forty-four eyes of 27 patients were included in this study. The follow-up period was 47.98±18.23mo (24-83mo). The mean preoperative BCVA (logMAR) was 1.13±0.63, and the mean postoperative BCVA was 0.30±0.33 at the last visit. There showed a significant improvement in BCVA postoperatively (P<0.001). Postoperative BCVA in 41 eyes (93%) was improved compared with the preoperative one. Forty-two eyes (95.45%) got total resolution of the MF after surgery. The remaining two eyes (4.55%) got partial resolution of foveoschisis. The preoperative foveal thickness was 610.45±217.11 μm and the postoperative foveal thickness at the last visit was significantly reduced to 177.64±55.40 μm (P<0.001). The preoperative axial length was 29.60±1.71 mm, and the postoperative axial length was 29.74±1.81 mm at the last visit. There was no significant increase in axial length within 47.98±18.23mo of follow-up (P=0.562). There was no recurrence of foveoschisis or occurrence of full-thickness macular hole during the whole follow-up period. CONCLUSION: Fo...

Concepts
Powered ByUnsilo

Posterior Scleral Reinforcement
Myopic Foveoschisis
Best-corrected Visual Acuity
Axial Length
Mean Postoperative Best-corrected Visual Acuity
Mean Preoperative Best-corrected Visual Acuity
Significant Improvement In Best-corrected Visual Acuity
Spectral-domain Optical Coherence Tomography Findings
Improvement In Best-corrected Visual Acuity
Increase In Axial Length

Introducing Weekly Round-ups!Beta

Powered by R DiscoveryR Discovery

Round-ups are the summaries of handpicked papers around trending topics published every week. These would enable you to scan through a collection of papers and decide if the paper is relevant to you before actually investing time into reading it.

Climate change Research Articles published between Jun 20, 2022 to Jun 26, 2022

R DiscoveryJun 27, 2022
R DiscoveryArticles Included:  2

One eighth of the bird species in the world is considered globally threatened; the avifauna of Iraq comprises 409 species and is considered as the maj...

Read More

Coronavirus Pandemic

You can also read COVID related content on R COVID-19

R ProductsCOVID-19

ONE PROBLEM . ONE PURPOSE . ONE PLACE

Creating the world’s largest AI-driven & human-curated collection of research, news, expert recommendations and educational resources on COVID-19

COVID-19 Dashboard